Wednesday, October 21, 2015

The Black Dynamic

I have a bone to pick. Why is is that the black character in a movie or show--if they are not the main character--is the quirky, comedic side kick that is not ever taken seriously? Now, of course, this is not always the case, but the examples of this are endless. I personally take some offense. It is like we are either an evil character, the thug, or the character with lack of dynamic that is always making wacky side comments as comedic relief. To list a few, there is Frozone from the Incredibles, Chad from High School Musical, Ivy Wentz from Good Luck Charlie, and Donkey from Shrek (come on, we all know if he were human, he would be Black). Now I understand and appreciate the effort of showing the diversity of friendship in these movies and shows, however, I always feel like the black counterpart to the non-black (usually white) main character is painted the same way: the "funny black friend". They seem to lack substance as a character.

I have begun to realize that I have been subconsciously influenced by these characters' behavior and actions. Growing up, I saw these characters and had the same reaction that most had toward them: wow, they're funny; I like them! Being that I am black, I wanted to be like them, act like them, come off as funny like them, be liked like them. I thought that if I appealed to my peers in the same way that those characters appealed to their audiences, I would be liked, and I would have friends. For a long time, that is the only way I thought I would be accepted by the people around me. Media often paints a very limited amount of dynamics for minority characters. This is incredibly sad. I think it is important that there is not only diversity in movies and shows, but variability in personality, so that kids understand there are more ways to be accepted besides being the loud, funny friend.

2 comments:

  1. I remember you speaking out about this topic in class, and honestly I hate admit it but since I'm not a minority I never really realized this until you spoke up about it. I love you made me realize this because now I see these characters so differently. It honestly annoys me now. I don't understand why they can't just be like any other main character on the show. Why do they have to play the funny guy? Why can't they be reserved? Why can't they be the super genius? Why can't they be the main character instead of side kick? If they played a different role it wouldn't change the story line at all. I also liked how you made a connection of how this effects people in real life. It encourages the stereotype of the "funny black friend." I wonder if it makes people feel like they can't be themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paige, great post! Being African American myself, I can definitely relate. I have grown tired of watching black actors be subjected to the buffoonery. Puts me in the mind of a modern day minstrel show. I too feel like people expect us to act the exact same way in everyday life. I am not a cast member on Love and Hip Hop or Basketball Wives. So why must I make a fool out of myself to get some attention? Its an immense amount of pressure. I would have to play a role everyday if I really want to meet people's expectations of what it means to be "black". It seems like the essence of who we are, as women of color, often times goes ignored unless we are loud, bold, and last but definitely not least; "ratchet".

    ReplyDelete