Thursday, September 17, 2015

You Call That Art?

What is art? Virgually anything, right? How can you put a restriction on what art is? It is relative. Art is really just anything that is a representation or expression. To some, that means a couple of splattered paint spots on a canvas. To others, that means a sophisticated musical composition or a completely choreographed dance number. So what about video games? Nope. A video game? Art? I think yes. A video game can be viewed as art in so many different ways. For one, the graphics in modern day video games have become incredibly complex. There are vivid landscapes,  crystal clear resolution, and the most realistic looking creatures and people that aren't actually real that I've ever seen. So in that sense, aesthetically, video games are truly art. But I also consider video games art in another way. Their technicality. So much goes into making a video game a video game. Hours of planning, designing, creating back stories, generating images that come off as real life. Then there's actually creating these images electronically completely from the ground up. On top of that, there is incredible music that sets the theme for the game. If the music by itself is considered art, how could that plus all of the production of a video game not be? When you think about it, video games are a bunch of different artful elements smashed into one. In my eyes, having the mind, the vision, the talent to do so is without a doubt artistic. I respect video games for the amount of time, money, skill goes into them to make them enjoyable for gamers everywhere. Though I myself am not an avid gamer, I can at least acknowledge the effort that goes into making them. Art comes in all different forms, and video games deserve its spot to be considered one of them.

4 comments:

  1. I read your blog and agree with you that video game are art. I am not avid video game player but I do enjoy playing games from time to time. My boy friend on the other hand is different, he loves to play video games and has been playing videos games for a very long time now. We own a PlayStation 4 and when I watch him play games I am so entranced by the graphics. The graphics are so real like that I think is so incredible. I believe that those graphics are artwork. Anything can be artwork, so why can't video games. The story lines that go with these video games are interesting. It's like watching a animation cartoon but it's broken up into segments. I love watching the little short videos in the game. There is a lot of work that goes into creating a video game. Someone has to draw the pictures of the characters to the video game. So it is artwork because someone is taking the time to draw these images so it artwork but artwork done with a pencil then turned into virtual technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paige, I enjoyed you blog post. When I think of video games, I personally don't see them as art, but now from reading your post I have expanded my point of view. When you think of the work that is put into creating video games it's hard to remember the talent that goes into it. I've played video games here and there but, I'm not a huge fan; however, while playing I do see the effort put into them. I want to ask you, do you think video games project a certain message or feeling? Just like paintings from Picasso and symphonies conducted by Mozart there was an underlying meaning causing profound feelings. Overall, great post and I agree that artwork does come in various forms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that video games should be considered a piece of art. After all, with the boost in graphic technology, who couldn’t say it’s art? It makes it even better for players because they have the ability to put themselves within that game. It’s interactive, and it’s like entering another world of art. I am very proud that there are people who appreciate even video games as art. Moreover, they’re like simulations of an artwork. You don’t even have to be a serious gamer to enjoy video games. It’s fun and interactive, and with art like that, video games make art more appreciable. I also agree with the fact that video games are bunches of art mixed together. They put a lot of work into making it an artful experience, and sometimes games don’t have to be that advanced. They could be 8-bit and still be considered art because of the way it displays for the players.

    ReplyDelete