Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Consumerism: Can't Live With it, Can't Live Without It.

Consumerism is a disease, and we're all infected with it. Too harsh? I'll start over. We've learned to buy without consequence. We see something we want. Corporations tell us we need it, so we buy it. In reality, the likelihood that we actually need the newest version of our favorite smartphone, or those two-wheeled hover boards that are impossible to balance on, is very slim. Subconsciously, we know we don't need these things, so why do we buy them anyway? That's easy. We want them! Through mindful marketing, corporations convince us that our wants are just as important as needs. We become zombies. The capitalist system makes sure we remain in an endless loop. We buy, we see an ad, we buy more. Advertisements are carefully constructed to appeal to every age group, more races, differing political views. The list goes on. The funnier the ad, the catchier the slogan, the more recognizable the logo or popular the brand, the more likely you are to buy the product.  Think about this. There are actual downloadable apps that test your knowledge of name brands. Provided with a shape of a logo, you must input the proper brand name to advance to the next level. This is a display of how much consumerism runs our lives. What's ironic is that while we indulge in our wants, we forget about needs, or even the needs of others. Something else to think about: The Superbowl. Besides of course the football, hundreds of thousands of people tune in to watch the outrageous ads during the commercial breaks. This incredibly televised sports event is a marketing team's dream. Here's where the irony hits. While we enjoy silly ads and eat finger sandwiches, the losing team's Superbowl shirts are being shipped off to a third world country in need of clothing. To say that consumerism is not beneficial to the stimulation of our economy would be a mistake. However, when it rules over most of the decisions we make, it can be blinding to other, more important real world issues.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Paige,
    I really liked reading your blog post. you were honest and cunning and it came across very well in your writing. it is a very controversial issue to talked about the illness of corporate America, I liked that analogy as well. great writing style and interesting topic, good work.

    Do you think that we will ever be able to escape the chains of consumerism or is it a necessary evil in America? Even though we view consumerism as a possible evil do other countries tend to envy it or wish we would stop our ways? thanks for your blog post I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Paige!
    I really enjoyed reading your post. The first two lines grabbed me in and was not letting go. Honestly, I completely agree with every word you wrote. Especially as a girl/woman in society, I feel like consumerism is put negatively on us. I have seemed to realize that the older I get and the more things I feel like I need in order to blend in with all the powerful women in the world with all there nice things.

    But in reality, it is so sad that our corporations that are suppose to be helping us, are only really brain washing us. When have we once seen such big companies make something beneficial to every day middle class citizens. The whole America is not shaped like California is, we are very lucky where we live. We really need to make it clear that, yes we do like things but giving back to our community is just another big thing that needs to be more important!

    Great job on the post!
    Eva

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Paige,
    Your post made me realize a lot about myself to be honest. It is safe to say that I am a shopaholic; to be more specific I am addicted to buying new sneakers. I honestly do not even think twice about buying shoes, but when it comes to some the things that I truly need I have second thoughts to think if I REALLY do need it. All of my friends and family tells me I have a problem, but I kind of just laugh it off and continue to shop till I drop.
    Your post has made me see how I have fallen into the world of consumerism and how overtime the more I buy the bigger of a hole I am digging for myself.
    The way you structured your post and the tone you used was very well out together, and also made it very relatable to your audience.

    Keep up the good work.
    Linda

    ReplyDelete